Wednesday, September 15, 2010

School Daze


Student Daze

Liz and I have just finished our first week of Italian lessons at Sorento Lingue in Sorrento.  The school is a 15 minute walk from our apartment, and we arrive by 9 everyday. We have 2 classes a day, and are in school until 12:30 or 1 pm. The first class is grammar and the second is Italian conversation. The school is very professional and the teachers are very good. But it is a huge struggle for me everyday. Things have really changed in the foreign language teaching arena since I last was a pretty lousy language student 35 years ago. I guess they have changed for the better, but I am completely unprepared for what goes on now. Instead of a lecture and maybe a weekly language lab, the entire class is interactive. Since this week only 3 of us are in beginning Italian, every 30 seconds or so I get called on. It is a constant barrage of questions, corrections, and more questions—all completely in Italian. Generally, not a word of English is spoken, except by me in complete frustration. There are frequent lapses into Spanish by all 3 of us students, and the teacher corrects them too. I often have no idea what the teacher is saying. Liz says you are supposed to guess, but I really struggle with that. I don’t know if I have learned much of anything this week, but maybe it will get better later.   Here is a picture of me on the first day of school:




Here is a picture of the school entrance. It is a serious place. I think it is rented from an order of nuns who occupy the second floor and often bless Liz and I in Italiano on arrival.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Ellen,
    Your language school seems a long, long way from the language lab at Cherry Hill High School. Remember how Miss Brod used to listen in while we tried to speak in French? Yikes!

    You must be pretty good at Italian by now.

    Love, Randi

    ReplyDelete